Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Excedrin headache.....

Our friendly political operative's Mom does not live in Princes Camp. She lives 50 feet away, outside the gates. I did not realize that Princes Camp was a perjorative. I always thought Helga and Robert run a tight ship. My apologies for the over-simplification.

Now JENSEN Camp........there's a perjorative.

The buzz from above is that the people on the Mountain are being completely unreasonable and risking the lives of the glorious and valiant firefighters for the satisfaction of their own egos.......WHEN THE FIRE IS ONLY A MILE AWAY!!!

Ths sky is falling, the sky is falling.

The first page of the Kern County Emergency Planning guide has a WWII era poster: Remain Calm".

A quick check from the satellite reveals that the fire is actually either five and a half miles away, or five miles away......across a giant canyon, a number of firelines, etc. Lambert Flats is about a mile and a half from the active front of the fire in the White Oaks area. My rule line runs from the end of Laurel Springs Road to the top of Miller Canyon. The line to the White Oaks is about the same distance.


Here is the 3D version.

Actual calm, wise and experienced local heads point out that in past fire and water emergencies, the calmer, wiser authorities have arranged daily caravans in and out of the area affected. People could get their own supplies, go to work, go to doctors, etc. What would that be like?

As of this morning we have three deputy sheriffs parked in front of The Store. Our supply runs would seem to be somewhat curtailed. Gasoline, propane, pet foods, staples will still go up through a work-around.

And, please.....get your panties out of a bunch. Toddie Springs has retired as relief driver, by popular demand. He was kind enough to donate use of his truck when a local lunatic took the keys to my Bronco as a souvenir. His intimate knowledge of the local terrain was a plus....I thought. Turns out his knowledge is a little TOO intimate for some folks. Everyone should realize that we having going in as a team......

The practical problems presented by the blockade have continued to be solved by our native ingenuity. Bernardus Winery had umpteen barrels of the new chardonnay is desperate need of topping off with inert gas to maintain their integrity. Let us just say that it was taken care of. With the number of vineyards in the affected area........let us know if you need something done. We have an experienced winery and vineyard hand inside the lines.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boy, Mike. Hope you've got a large bottle of extra strength!! I'm just beginning to get over mine (I hope!)

11:30 AM  
Blogger pendoodles said...

'When there is a will, there is a way.'

I can hear that old phrase ring in my head.

Thank you again for the blog updates and your stick-with-it reserve.

Also another HUGE thank you Michael, my friend finally reached me via email.

If you like, you can delete my long winded comments to her via your blog. LOL

PS. Kate I have plenty of EX-stregnth Tylenol's here in PG (Pacfic Grove) if you want to come get them. I've been needing them because of the incessant problems with the city. My husband is one of their employees. :P

4:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!
Whew.... thank heaven for that poster. NOW I feel better.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, I know you are beyond busy, but could you contact me privately?

kwnovoa@mac.com

10:04 PM  
Blogger Joe Green/Tim Smith said...

Damn fine work, Michael. Slainte!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home